Shoulder Pain Treatment
Your shoulders are among the most useful and flexible joints in your body. You can move your shoulders in ways that are impossible with other joints. From reaching above your head to scratching your back to throwing a Frisbee, there’s so much you can do with your shoulder joints.
Unfortunately, all that mobility makes your shoulders particularly susceptible to pain and injury. Whether you’re coping with dull, lingering pain or sharp, stabbing pain, we recommend starting chiropractic treatment with Dr. Monte Venis at Back & Neck Pain Center. We’ll help you find relief from your symptoms.
To discuss your shoulder pain with Dr. Venis, please schedule a consultation today.
Causes of Shoulder Pain
Many potential problems could be the source of your pain. Here are some possibilities:
- Bursitis: Overuse injuries like bursitis are common in athletes and workers who move their arms repetitively. This condition is characterized by inflamed bursae, or fluid-filled sacs in your joints.
- Tendonitis: This is another overuse injury that swimmers and other active individuals may develop. It occurs when the tendons that connect muscle to bone wear out.
- Torn tendons: A sudden injury or gradual overuse can cause the rotator cuff or bicep tendon to tear, leaving you with severe shoulder pain.
- Impingement: This condition occurs when the top of your shoulder blade presses down on the soft tissues beneath it when you raise your arm. If left untreated, impingement can lead to bursitis or tendonitis.
- Osteoarthritis: This form of arthritis can develop in any joint, including the shoulder. It usually develops as you age, but excessive wear and tear can cause early onset in baseball players, tennis players, and other athletes.
- Fractured bones: A traumatic injury could cause your clavicle (collarbone), scapula (shoulder blade), or humerus (upper arm bone) to break, which may manifest as shoulder pain.
- Dislocated shoulder: When your shoulder pops out of its socket, the dislocated joint can cause severe pain. Failure to treat the condition properly could result in recurring dislocations.
Treating Shoulder Pain with Chiropractic Care
Pain from acute shoulder injuries may dissipate with rest, ice, compression, and elevation, but not always. Recovery can also take longer if you don’t seek professional treatment. Acute pain might even develop into a chronic condition if the injury doesn’t heal properly.
The better option is to get your aching shoulder checked out by a chiropractor in Clearwater. We can diagnose the cause of your pain and suggest treatment options that will have you feeling healthy again as soon as possible. We use a non-invasive, non-pharmaceutical approach to tackle the root of your pain rather than masking it with medication or resorting to surgery.
Our techniques for treating shoulder pain include:
- Hands-on manipulation: Chiropractic adjustments don’t only work on the spine—they can also treat aching shoulders effectively, depending on what’s causing your pain.
- Trigger point therapy: Trigger points are areas of tension, built-up fluids, and toxins in your muscles. With carefully applied pressure, these stress points disintegrate, helping to ease your shoulder pain.
- Myofascial release: This muscle therapy is more than just a simple massage—it promotes healing by restoring posture, flexibility, and strength to your injured shoulder.
- And more!
Contact Back and Neck Pain Center
For over 30 years, Dr. Venis has provided quality chiropractic services to residents of the Clearwater, FL area. We create individualized treatment plans based on the needs of each patient. Using our wide range of chiropractic, physical therapy, and massage therapy techniques, we are confident we can treat your shoulder pain effectively.
Please contact Back and Neck Pain Center at (727) 726-4743 to request more information from our chiropractor in Clearwater.